[asterisk-users] Reliable wireless SIP phones

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Fri Aug 29 18:07:36 CDT 2008

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 07:18:17 -0500, Karl Fife wrote:

>> I've had essentially no problems with my snom m3s. Someone from snom
>> has been in touch to confirm that they are now putting more effort into
>> the firmware for this phone. There are a few new features that I'd like
>> to see that are already in their plans.
>
>When I saw & held this phone at Astricon 2007, I was impressed with the
>price/value ratio, but I was frankly a bit turned off by how 'creaky' it
>felt.  If I held it between my ear and shoulder I'd hear the dreaded
>chintzy plastic creaking sound.  I think the one I saw may have been a
>pre-production prototype.  Does your Snom M3 have a cheap plastic creaky
>build?  Does it feel 'chintzy' to you?
>
>-Karl

I've had mine in service for 8 months and it has not suffered any
physical problems. No, it doesn't have the look and feel of a good
quality cell phone. That's true. But it hasn't been a problem either.
If you're using it in a warehouse you may think differently.

The Polycom SpectraLink 8002 wifi handset definitely feels more
industrial strength. That's less than ideal for a lot of people. The
buttons may last a billion contacts, but your really gotta push to make
a positive keypress. It's like the Panasonic Toughbook of cordless
phones. Might be less than ideal for an office user.

I'm not unhappy with the m3. I may buy a repeater since the S685IP is
going bye bye soon.

Michael
--
Michael Graves