[asterisk-users] Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Aug 29 10:51:20 CDT 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 09:58:56 Karl Fife wrote:
> Anybody care to muse on Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT?
>
> My limited research indicates that none of the WiSip phones will ever be
> able to match the performance of DECT phones.  Maybe I'm wrong but a
> Wi-SIP phone seems like a DIESEL sports car.  There is nothing wrong
> with the technology, but it seems like a shoe-horned fit into the
> requirements of a wireless endpoint.  DECT uses a wireless radio layer
> that was engineered from the ground-up with the design priorities of a
> wireless endpoit.
>
> I notice that the standby times of Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT are a great
> illustration of this point.  I guess there's no low-power way to
> participate in a WiFi network, hense standby battery life that sucks in
> Wi-SIP.
>
> I've never actually demoed a Wi-SIP phone on premesis, but if the range
> of my WiFi LAPTOP vs. my DECT 6.0 headset is any indication, (DECT more
> than double the range) I'd guess it to be quite hard to make a case for
> Wi-SIP unless you're doing some straight-up network application
> integration right onto the phone.  Can anyone speak to this?

I think the primary reason for going Wi-SIP is the buildout factor.  Yes,
while range is limited in WiSIP, the fact that the phone is entirely
self-contained means that you can build out additional WAPs, transitioning
between them as the phone moves around an area.  Additionally, an existing
wireless infrastructure can be taken advantage of, instead of building a
separate network for the phones.

While DECT repeaters exist that serve this same purpose, the tools to ensure
that all areas within a service area are served are still a little lacking.
Basically, you're left with deploying stations, running around with a phone to
every nook and cranny, hoping the battery life stands up, and deploying
repeaters in a haphazard fashion to address the issues.  Compare that to the
professional tools you can find to fully deploy Wifi hotspots on the first
try, and you'll find a much less painful deployment cycle.
--
Tilghman