[asterisk-users] Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT

Karl Fife asterisk-users at kfife.mailworks.org
Fri Aug 29 09:58:56 CDT 2008

Anybody care to muse on Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT?

My limited research indicates that none of the WiSip phones will ever be
able to match the performance of DECT phones.  Maybe I'm wrong but a
Wi-SIP phone seems like a DIESEL sports car.  There is nothing wrong
with the technology, but it seems like a shoe-horned fit into the
requirements of a wireless endpoint.  DECT uses a wireless radio layer
that was engineered from the ground-up with the design priorities of a
wireless endpoit.

I notice that the standby times of Wi-SIP vs. SIP-DECT are a great
illustration of this point.  I guess there's no low-power way to
participate in a WiFi network, hense standby battery life that sucks in
Wi-SIP.

I've never actually demoed a Wi-SIP phone on premesis, but if the range
of my WiFi LAPTOP vs. my DECT 6.0 headset is any indication, (DECT more
than double the range) I'd guess it to be quite hard to make a case for
Wi-SIP unless you're doing some straight-up network application
integration right onto the phone.  Can anyone speak to this?

-Karl