[asterisk-users] Reliable wireless SIP phones

Karl Fife asterisk-users at kfife.mailworks.org
Fri Aug 29 09:33:56 CDT 2008

> Someone did report to me that they had difficulty getting MWI working
> on the snoms. I've not been able to test this with Asterisk yet. Since
> i rely on MWI from my desk phone (Polycom IP650) MWI on the cordless is
> not setup, and I don't let calls to the cordless go to VM right now.

Michael,

You & other may already know this, but you can make the MWI on your Snom
cordless sync the MWI status of the mailbox belonging to your Polycom
Desk phone, not it's own mailbox.  In other words, don't hesitate to use
the Snom MWI, just because you don't need another mailbox  The cordless
will indicate the MWI status of your desk phone's mailbox.

Here's how I did it.
1.
Put the mailbox I wanted to subscribe to in the sip.conf context
belonging to the device. ALA:

[205]
;
;   Cordless
;
type=friend
username=205
secret=[shhhhh]
host=dynamic
context=lc-route
mailbox=202 at default    ;subscribing to mailbox 202 NOT x205

2.
Configure the Snom to mailbox 202 even though it's x205
Do this under
Identity(n), Login,  Mailbox

Viola!

-Karl