[asterisk-users] app_jack and calling with pc only

Russell Bryant russell at digium.com
Thu Aug 28 07:25:56 CDT 2008

Julien Claassen wrote:
>    The question: Can I (mis)use my asterisk CLI interface to make and recieve
> calls coming in/going out via the ISDN-card, while using my soundcard I/Os
> under JACK as a phone?

Yes, you can.  You actually have two options for doing this.  One is
using app_jack and the other is using chan_console.  chan_console uses
libportaudio, which supports jack as an audio backend.

To initiate a SIP call from the Asterisk CLI and connect it to app_jack,
you would use a command similar to the following:

*CLI> originate SIP/1234 at peer application Jack i(outputport)o(inputport)

Using chan_console, you have various call control CLI commands available:

*CLI> console dial <extension>
*CLI> console hangup

While using app_jack will give you more control over how you connect to
Jack from the Asterisk CLI, using chan_console will give you more of a
normal phone experience, as it will play tones to the audio interface
that you normally hear when using a phone.

>    Why I'm doing this and not use another app:
> 1. I'm blind, I LOVE my console/commandline
> 2. I tried linphone with SIP, didn't work. JACK crashed and the firewall is in
> the way.
> 3. The others don't have JACK and I need my JACK running (soundcard too big
> for the simple ALSA stuff and I'm a musician often in need of JACK's services.
>    So asterisk seems to offer all I need. I know it's meant as a SERVER, but
> with all this horse-power: Is a simple client so far of the track?

If you have any suggestions that would make app_jack or chan_console
easier for you to use, then please let me know.  Feel free to contact me
directly.

--
Russell Bryant
Senior Software Engineer