[asterisk-users] Asterisk Realtime pounds MySQL

J.M. aerobars+asteriskusers at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 16:57:38 CDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Al Baker <bwentdg at pipeline.com> wrote:

> J.M. wrote:
> >     On Thursday 21 August 2008 10:08:53 J.M. wrote:
> >     > I am running Asterisk 1.4.21.2 <http://1.4.21.2> with Realtime.
> >      I have a phone setup in the
> >     > database and when I connect that phone to Asterisk there are
> >     suddenly an
> >     > endless number of "SELECT * FROM sip WHERE name = '1001' AND host =
> >     > 'dynamic'" queries being run.  The only way to stop the flood of
> >     queries
> >     > coming from Asterisk to restart the Asterisk process.  Even
> >     disconnecting
> >     > the phone doesn't stop Asterisk from running the queries.
> >     >
> >     > Has anyone seen this before?  Why would Asterisk do that and
> >     does anyone
> >     > know the fix?

[...]

> > Another way, which has worked so far for me, is to set the "qualify"
> > field in the "sip" table (or whatever you called the table that
> > corresponds to the sip.conf file) to "no".  I found this out from
> > reading the following URL:
> > http://www.asteriskguru.com/tutorials/peer_is_now_unreachable.html
> >
> Ok, but WHY is he getting an "ENDLESS" # of selects.
> Sure * needs to get the data, but unless he had an ENDLESS series of
> CALLS to/from that phone
> should * be making all those queries ??
>
> and
>  HOW is this going to scale up ?

Those are very good questions and I do not have the answers.  This page:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+config+sip.conf says that "qualify"
should default to "no".  It may be possible that if the "qualify" field in
the database is left blank or NULL then Realtime assumes it to be a 0.
Which would make Asterisk check the client every 0 milliseconds.

However, my "qualify" field was set to "yes".  I have also reproduced the
problem, albeit on the same machine, by setting the "qualify" field to
"yes".

jm