[asterisk-users] DSS1 vs SS7

Matthew Fredrickson creslin at digium.com
Fri Aug 22 09:48:49 CDT 2008

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> Alex Balashov wrote:
>
>> Some carriers now do offer private SS7 instead of ISDN.  But there is
>> absolutely no reason why you should be doing this with Asterisk.
>> Asterisk-SS7 is quite tenuous at best.  Unless you have some specific
>> reason to be using it, don't.
>
> Actually, SS7 support in Asterisk 1.6.0 appears to be quite solid, and
> it is being used in a quite a number of production deployments.

Thanks for the plug Kevin! :-)

Yeah, actually, if you guys want to know more there's an asterisk-ss7
mailing list.  Asterisk-1.6.0 with libss7 is being used in many
successful and high traffic installations around the world.

The current record (that I have been told of) is an installation doing
over 100,000 calls per day.  So try to beat that ;-)

Matthew Fredrickson
Digium, Inc.