[asterisk-users] Question: Soft phone for ACD agents?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Aug 21 12:44:15 CDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 09:40:04AM -0700, Michael Collins wrote:
>    To those running call centers I have a question: what kinds of soft phones,
>    if any, do you use? I’m wondering what is out there that has some hooks for
>    custom applications or host system integration, etc.  OTOH, do you prefer a
>    desk phone for any reason?  If so, why?

The experience in the center I manage the network for was that
softphones didn't work out that well, and that regular phones on ATAs
weren't much of a win either: ATAs apparently weren't built for 8+
hr/day service; they'd melt down.

What we ended up with was Panasonic hardphones with headset jacks (the
KX-TS105) plugged into Zhone zPlex 10 FXS channel banks, then T-1 into
quad cards on our VICIdial diallers.  That gives you 3 spans per room,
which works out pretty well even for automatic outbound, though we
only do manual these days.

I'm in the market for a better station: I don't need the dial, or the
handset, or even the ringer (a neon bulb would be fine), but I *do*
want something more rugged than those Panasonic's.  I'm not sure why no
one seems to build a ruggedized agent phone.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Josef Stalin)