[asterisk-users] cmdRecord issue related to "iax2 received mini frame before first full voice frame"?

Novak Joe joes.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 11:58:29 CDT 2008

>>   A more detailed explanation of what the above warning means/implies,
>> and how or why it might be preventing recordings would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>A mini frame is simply a frame containing minimal information about the
>call itself (the meta data), and a full frame contains all of the meta-data
>information.  Sending mini-frames is part of the IAX protocol, as a way of
>saving significant bandwidth over the course of a call.  However, a mini frame
>cannot be interpreted correctly independently of a full frame.  In every media
>stream, a full frame is send approximately once every 60 seconds, to sync the
>timestamps.
>>   I'm running Asterisk 1.4.11 on debian Etch.
>There have been many changes, bug fixes, and even security issues fixed since
>1.4.11.  I'd really recommend that you try something more recent (and even the
>latest, because we fixed 2 security issues in the latest release, 1.4.21.2).

Thank you very much for this clear explanation of what is going on.
The implication then is that this issue could indeed be having a
significant impact on whether calls are eventually recorded?  I plan
to look into upgrading our distribution, but this appears to be
impacting 1/10 calls coming through our system at the moment so I
wonder if there is some/any way to help make sure that that first full
voice frame gets sent before the miniframes get pushed through?  I
also wonder if there is a point after which the call is lost,
regardless of whether the first full voice frame comes through?  could
other issues like mismatches between the system clocks on the
respective machines also be impacting performance?

thanks a bunch!

--
Tilghman