[asterisk-users] BLF functionality

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Tue Aug 12 21:08:42 CDT 2008

Dan Peters wrote:

> We have had Asterisk up and running for a while now and it works very
> well.  Recently we tried to integrate a Linsys SPA962 with the
> associated SPA932 console.  We can get the BLF lights to blink when a
> phone is ringing and we can get the BLF lights to go solid when that
> call is picked up.  My question is about the BLF for the phone that
> placed the call.  Is the BLF supposed to light up when the handset is
> picked up and a dial tone is heard?  Right now that is not happening.
> The BLF lights only seem to operate for phones that are RECEIVING
> calls and not MAKING them.

Asterisk can only detect when a call has been placed.  Once the call has
been made and the other end is ringing, is the calling extension showing up?

If not, I've seen this problem before with Asterisk 1.4.  You need to
ensure that the following configuration items are set in sip.conf:-

    * call-limit must be set for every extension.  Usually set this to a
      large arbitrary number such as 100. (or 1 if you don't want
      another call to be received when the extension is on the phone)
    * notifyringing should be set to "yes".
    * If you're using RealTime, ensure you have both rtcachefriends and
      rtupdate set to "yes".
    * limitonpeers must be set to "yes" if you're using type=peer. (this
      is the most likely culprit since it's missing from the default
      config files)