[asterisk-users] Grandstream RS-232 config (slightly off-topic)

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 04:10:48 CDT 2008

--- On Tue, 8/5/08, Atis Lezdins <atis at iq-labs.net> wrote:

> Have you tried powering it on, while holding reset button?

Yes, several times. I contacted Grandstream's helpdesk and they told me to keep the reset button pressed while I plug the power off and back on again. I even tried keeping it pressed for 5 minutes and the device kept rebooting but the factory defaults were never restored.

> Additionally you can try to leave it for week powered off
> and hope
> that there's some old battery keeping up settings.

I'll try that... :-(

> Are you sure that there isn't some "enable admin
> mode" command in
> telnet? It should allow you everything that's available
> from web.

I wish there were but I haven't found anything. I even tried "enable admin mode" (just in case this was my lucky day) but it doesn't compute...

I suspect that the built-in HTTP server crashes (which would be a GS bug) as soon as the device boots maybe because of a problem with the configuration. Since I can't reset to defaults I tried to setup a default config file (cfg<MAC> file) on my LAN HTTP provisioning server (whose URL I had previously setup in the faulty device). When the GS device boots I can see from my Apache log that the cfg<MAC> file is being fetched OK. However, the device's configuration is left unchanged. So it loads the cfg<MAC> but it doesn't commit it/store it or something. Something's definitely wrong there.

Curiously, I checked two other GXW4008 on my LAN (both are working fine). However, if I connect to both via telnet, I can see that one of them has a "reset to factory defaults" command and the other doesn't (just like the faulty device). As you can see here the settings on both devices are identical:

ATA #13:
Grandstream GXW-4008  V1.3A Command Shell Copyright 2006-2008
Supported commands:
    config  -- Configure the device
    status  -- Show device status
    upgrade -- Upgrade the device
    reboot  -- Reboot the device
    reset   -- Factory reset
    help    -- Show this help text
    exit    -- Exit this command shell
Software Versions:
    Main -- 1.0.0.86
    Boot -- 1.0.0.7
    Core -- 1.0.0.21
    Base -- 1.0.0.60

ATA #2:
Grandstream GXW-4008  V1.3A Command Shell Copyright 2006-2008
Supported commands:
    config  -- Configure the device
    status  -- Show device status
    upgrade -- Upgrade the device
    reboot  -- Reboot the device
    help    -- Show this help text
    exit    -- Exit this command shell
Software Versions:
    Main -- 1.0.0.86
    Boot -- 1.0.0.7
    Core -- 1.0.0.21
    Base -- 1.0.0.60

Really odd (both systems have customized configs).

Anyway, thanks for your feedback. I hope GS will come up with a new firmware with a complete list of telnet commands.

Vieri