[asterisk-users] Grandstream RS-232 config (slightly off-topic)

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Tue Aug 5 20:19:37 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Never mind. I set the wrong baud rate. The right values are 115200-8-N-1-No flow control. However, the serial connection is as good or as useless as the telent connection. I have no way to restore factory settings.
>
> --- On Tue, 8/5/08, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I realize this may be slightly off-topic but I'm
>> wondering if someone here can lend me a hand.
>>
>> One of my GXW4008 has gone "unconfigurable" via
>> standard HTTP (refuses connection) and I can't use the
>> built-in IVR because I had previously disabled the
>> "keypad update" feature. So I'm stuck with
>> just telnet, the reset button and RS-232.
>>
>> Telnet commands are very limited and I can't change SIP
>> configuration or reset to default values (and see if that
>> helps to bring the HTTP back up). I did try to upgrade and
>> downgrade the firmware with no change at all.
>>
>> The reset button reboots the device but doesn't restore
>> default values! (I tried keeping it pressed for several
>> minutes...)
>>
>> So my last chance before throwing it away is to administer
>> it via serial port. The thing is that Grandstream's
>> official manual says that there is "an RS232 serial
>> port for administration" but it doesn't say
>> anything else about it (how to connect, how to change
>> config, how to reset the device, etc). There's
>> absolutely nothing regarding RS-232.
>>
>> If someone has this or a similar device and accessed it via
>> serial port then I'd greatly appreciate some quick tips.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Vieri

Have you tried powering it on, while holding reset button?
Additionally you can try to leave it for week powered off and hope
that there's some old battery keeping up settings.

Are you sure that there isn't some "enable admin mode" command in
telnet? It should allow you everything that's available from web.

Regards,
Atis

--
Atis Lezdins,