[asterisk-users] 2000+ user Asterisk PBX

Michiel van Baak michiel at vanbaak.info
Sun Aug 3 17:37:34 CDT 2008

On 16:20, Sun 03 Aug 08, Darren Sessions wrote:
> I can speak first hand to this having gone through it just a few
> months ago . .
>
> After being spoiled with all the features and standard compliance in
> Postgres, I was put in a position with a new project to setup a
> redundant (Master->Slave) database cluster.
>
> I immediately jumped to Postgres to do the job (using 8.3).
>
> My biggest gripe at the time was that there was really nothing built
> IN postgres to do the replication as I soon found out. Everything was
> third party and there were several replication modules suggested to me
> that seemed stagnant or un-maintained or required an older version of
> Postgres (bypassing the massive performance increase of the 8.3
> release). Of those that I did try that were opensource, all of them
> seemed fairly complex to get up and running - to say the least.
>
> Also having used MySQL extensively, I decided to give it a test run on
> a separate set of boxes.
>
> I'm not exaggerating when I say the replication was up and running in
> about 10 minutes.
>
> While I do appreciate (a lot) how standards compliant Postgres is,
> MySQL was an absolute clear winner in my book with regards to the
> replication.

Amen.

been there and been bitten by the same stuff.
We are now using a 4 node mysql master<->master setup which works great.

Ok, the total setuptime was closer to an hour then two minutes, but
that's because we wanted write access to all nodes.

make sure to setup the primary key start and increment config params
correctly, and you're done.

> Just my two cents . .

My two cents and two weeks of
investigation+testing+redoing_it_over_and_over_again

--

Michiel van Baak
michiel at vanbaak.eu
http://michiel.vanbaak.eu

"Why is it drug addicts and computer aficionados are both called users?"