[asterisk-users] 2000+ user Asterisk PBX

Darren Sessions dmsessions at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 17:20:32 CDT 2008

I can speak first hand to this having gone through it just a few
months ago . .

After being spoiled with all the features and standard compliance in
Postgres, I was put in a position with a new project to setup a
redundant (Master->Slave) database cluster.

I immediately jumped to Postgres to do the job (using 8.3).

My biggest gripe at the time was that there was really nothing built
IN postgres to do the replication as I soon found out. Everything was
third party and there were several replication modules suggested to me
that seemed stagnant or un-maintained or required an older version of
Postgres (bypassing the massive performance increase of the 8.3
release). Of those that I did try that were opensource, all of them
seemed fairly complex to get up and running - to say the least.

Also having used MySQL extensively, I decided to give it a test run on
a separate set of boxes.

I'm not exaggerating when I say the replication was up and running in
about 10 minutes.

While I do appreciate (a lot) how standards compliant Postgres is,
MySQL was an absolute clear winner in my book with regards to the
replication.

Just my two cents . .

  - Darren

dmsessions at gmail.com