[asterisk-users] Dell 1950

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Mon Apr 28 09:22:27 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 10:16 AM, Steve Totaro
<stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 9:21 AM, Eve-Ellen Cole <ecole at mail.plymouth.edu> wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > I am thinking of going with a Dell PowerEdge 1950 ||| for a new
>  > CentOS/Asterisk set up.  It will have dual 2.33GHz processors, 16GB memory,
>  > two 500GB hard drives (presumably mirrored).  I also plan to get a Digium
>  > TE220B to go with it.  (a non-dell server is not an option, but I am
>  > wondering if there is a better one to consider)
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > The system will be a voice mail repository for 4-6,000 students.  Each time
>  > a voice mail is left, an email notification will be sent to the student.
>  > The email notification will provide a web link to direct the student to the
>  > voice mail itself.
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > Anything I need to consider changing?  I'm interested in any feedback you
>  > are willing to provide.  Many thanks!
>
>  I don't use Dells except in pure VoIP setups.  I found this link
>  http://www.gomiem.org/conferences/TC08_9_ip_telephony.pdf
>
>  I think the newer Digium cards play MUCH better with Dell now.
>
>  Take a look at CSID configuration 1.  It seems they use it as their
>  platform so I would take that as a good sign.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Steve Totaro

You asked this identical question a week or two ago.

"> I have an Avaya Definity G3R.  Calls to students will be routed through the
> G3R, to the Asterisk system so the caller can leave a message.  I'm not sure
> how many channels I'll really need, but I expect no more than 23
> simultaneous calls.  In fact, maybe no more than 10 simultaneously."

I guess you bumped up the concurrent call number a bit or are just
planning for the future.

As far as the RAM disk or OrecX, you should not need it.  From
personal experience the I/O barrier is ~60-70 calls.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro