[asterisk-users] init scripts (was: Re: yum install for specific kernel, how? And zaptel on fedora core 8)

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Apr 26 14:25:24 CDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 08:24:45PM +0200, Philipp Kempgen wrote:
> Tzafrir Cohen schrieb:
>
> > Most people who don't understand what init.d script are do that. And
> > later they reboot the sysetm unnecessarily because they can't properly
> > restart Asterisk.
> >
> > Recall that Asterisk must be run after Zaptel. Ordering of init.d
> > scripts is something that is easy to assure and is assured with the
> > default asterisk and zaptel installations.
>
> Unfortunately asterisk's init.d script for Debian is neither
> compliant with Debian's rules for init scripts nor LSB compliant.
> And the integration of safe_asterisk doesn't always work as
> expected. :-)

safe_asterisk is buggy. Period. There's a limit to how much we can fix
it.

As for LSB-compliance: this is true indeed for the packages in Etch.
Fixed later. And anyway, in Etch Debian has not supported service
dependencies. In Lenny it will.

That said, if you use the packages zaptel and asterisk, zaptel will
start before asterisk.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com