[asterisk-users] Playback / Background / Read choppy, but musiconhold fine, even with ztdummy

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Sat Apr 26 08:56:36 CDT 2008

On Sat, Apr 26, 2008 at 9:14 AM, Benjamin Jacob <ben4asterisk at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  > OK, I think you need to home in on the differences
>  > between the server(s)
>  > that work fine and the one that doesn't.
>
>  As I said in my other mail, the faulty one is a
>  .. mono processor machine, with SMP turned on
>  .. running CentOS 5
>  .. with kernel : 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5
>  There are other kernels too(2.6.18-8, etc.), will be
>  trying those kernels too.
>
>  The local working machine is :
>  .. dual processor, with SMP ofcourse
>  .. running Fedora Core 7, if I remember it correctly.
>  .. kernel definitely > 2.6.13
>
>  Have looked at all parameters, be it the kernel timer
>  frequency(1000 HZ), enhanced timer support, etc.
>  Everything seems to be set right. (Then again, I hope
>  I am looking at the correct places, i.e. .config files
>  and using make menuconfig).
>

>  > Try "watch -dn 1 cat /proc/interrupts" and check
>  > that the RTC interrupts
>  > are going up by 1024 per second. This is with
>  > ztdummy running.
>  This I gotta try. What if it isn't? And worse, what if
>  it is and I am still getting the choppy playbacks!!
>

>  >
>  > What else is going on on this server? Does it have
>  > any virtual machines
>  > on it? Does it have X Windows running? What does
>  > "top" show?
>
>  Unfortunately a lot of other processes are running too
>  on the server, one of them being httpd and other
>  sundry needed by the client (this inspite of
>  suggesting him to otherwise).
>
>  This is an Asterisk install not done by me, I just
>  added the zaptel installation and ztdummy module. Was
>  brazenly confident of things working in a jiffy(does
>  this count as a pun?), when I stepped in.
>
>  cheerz :-(
>

>  - Ben.

http://www.openvox.com.cn/products_detail.php?genre_id=9&id=28

If you can get the bare card, you can use it for timing with a little
magic that can be found via google.  If not, get one with an FXO or
FXS and you will add a little flexibility and have real hardware
timing.

If you continue to have issues, then you can eliminate timing and
focus on processes I would think.  I had a client running spamassassin
on their Asterisk box which doubled as their corporate email server,
geewhiz, I wonder why they were "having issues".

Another odd thing Tzafrir helped me to notice was (I don't remember
what version of CentOS) that the time was jumping ahead a couple of
minutes and then back.  Running top, you could tell something was up
because it was refreshing way too fast.  Then typing date on the
command line repeatedly showed the time jumping all over the place.
Might want to check that out too.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro