[asterisk-users] Asterisk using 100% of CPU

Chris Elliott Chris at PinsonConsulting.com
Fri Apr 25 15:23:05 CDT 2008

When I initiate a call from the console (Console/dsp) to a local SIP
extension, asterisk uses up 100% of the CPU until the extension
answers.  It happens when using .call files or the manager API.  My
examples are for the manager API, but .call files perform the same way.
Here is the 100% CPU example:

Action: Originate
Channel: Console/dsp
Context: internal
Extension: 20

If I reverse the situation it gets a little better.  Asterisk doesn't
use 100% of the CPU, but until SIP/exten-20 answers, the manager
interface doesn't respond.  So I can't hangup the line using the manager
API if SIP/exten-20 doesn't answer.  SIP/exten-20 is a SPA3102 FXS.
Here is that example:

Action: Originate
Channel: SIP/exten-20
Context: internal
Extension: 0

If I initiate a call from Console/dsp to the FXO port of a SPA3102, that
works fine.  Example:

Action: Originate
Channel: Console/dsp
Context: internal
Extension: 98005551212

I am using asterisk is version 1.2.24.  Basically I would like to be
able to use the manager API to externally initiate calls from the
console and hang them up.  Any ideas here?

Here are the relevant parts of extensions.conf:

[general]
static=yes
writeprotect=no
autofallthrough=yes
clearglobalvars=no
priorityjumping=no

[globals]
CONSOLE=Console/dsp
TRUNKMSD=1

[macro-stdexten]
exten => s,1,Dial(${ARG1})
exten => s,n,Playtones(busy)
exten => s,n,Busy

[internal]
include => trunkout
exten => 0,1,Dial(${CONSOLE})
exten => 20,1,Macro(stdexten,SIP/exten-20)
exten => 21,1,Macro(stdexten,SIP/exten-21)

[trunkout]
exten => _9.,1,Dial(SIP/pstn-01/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _9.,n,Dial(SIP/pstn-02/${EXTEN:1})
exten => _9.,n,Playtones(congestion)
exten => _9.,n,Congestion
exten => _9.,n,Hangup