[asterisk-users] Can I roll my own E911?

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Tue Apr 22 14:40:13 CDT 2008

Quoting Alex Balashov <abalashov at evaristesys.com>:

FCC / CRTC or not, I think the reality is voip and cellular has just
made a mess of the 911 system, and trying to make 911 fit all
situations is just not possible. If you can't speak and tell the
operator your actual address, essentially you are SOL, you also have
to take it on faith you get connected to the right 911 operations
center - how many cities have "main st" for example and would assume
you are local if that is all you could tell them.

Right now I wouldn't dream of a purely voip system for just that
reason, always at least one real line for emergencies.

> Mike Trest - On Travel wrote:
>> At 01:17 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
>>> My question would be - is this actually compliant with the FCC E911
>>> regulations applicable to VoIP providers?
>>
>> IMHO and EXPERIENCE before FCC, this arrangement is NOT compliant
>>
>> Reason:  multiple subscribers using the same number
>>                neither number nor name nor location can be
>>                tied to a specific subscriber at the time of use.
>>
>> You will need waivers on file from each client that acknowledges
>> the E911 service is verbal contact only and will not have a
>> fixed location or subscriber name associated with the number that
>> is seen by the E911 service provider.
>
> But if you do get those waivers, it is compliant in principle, on that
> basis, right?
>
> --
> Alex Balashov
> Evariste Systems
> Web    : http://www.evaristesys.com/
> Tel    : (+1) (678) 954-0670
> Direct : (+1) (678) 954-0671
> Mobile : (+1) (706) 338-8599

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com