[asterisk-users] Can I roll my own E911?

SIP sip at arcdiv.com
Tue Apr 22 14:18:34 CDT 2008

Mike Trest - On Travel wrote:
> At 01:17 PM 4/22/2008, you wrote:
>
>> My question would be - is this actually compliant with the FCC E911
>> regulations applicable to VoIP providers?
>>

> IMHO and EXPERIENCE before FCC, this arrangement is NOT compliant
>
> Reason:  multiple subscribers using the same number
>                neither number nor name nor location can be
>                tied to a specific subscriber at the time of use.
>
> You will need waivers on file from each client that acknowledges
> the E911 service is verbal contact only and will not have a
> fixed location or subscriber name associated with the number that
> is seen by the E911 service provider.

Technically, no. This might not suffice. FCC 05-116 sec37 states that a
call must be routed via ANI or pseudo-ANI via the dedicated Wireline
E911 Network (not wireless). Now, if this were interconnected to a
single wireline point, it MIGHT suffice, as the same section specifies
that you can use ANI or pseudo-ANI and need only provide appropriate
callback information for the PSAP.

Sec.38, however, states that you can accomplish this interconnection
either indirectly through a 3rd party, directly through the Wireline
E911 network, OR through "any other solution that allows a provider to
offer E911 service as described above."  That 'any other solution' MIGHT
allow you to interconnect through a single point wireless IF you can
provide individual callback info to the PSAP.

N.