[asterisk-users] Asterisk sends 486 Busy Here instead of 600 Busy Everywhere

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Tue Apr 22 09:39:05 CDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 18:11 +0530, Aadilkhan Maniyar wrote:
> Ideally Asterisk should be relaying the 600 response. What I fail to
> get is, why does Asterisk need to send 486 instead of 600.

Asterisk is a back-to-back user agent (not a proxy!), and as such, it
doesn't always relay the exact same SIP responses back to the first leg
of the call.

> Is there any configuration that needs to be done in order to achieve
> this or is this a default behavior of Asterisk.

Right now, I don't know of any configuration that can be done with
Asterisk that can achieve that behavior.  Somebody smarter than I am
will have to answer the question of how hard it would be to change the
Asterisk source code to do that (and whether or not that's the right
thing for Asterisk to do).

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager