[asterisk-users] WAN and LAN connections

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri Apr 18 14:17:48 CDT 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 13:21:01 Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> This is the first of several questions I have but to keep them thread
> friendly I'll post each separately.
>
>  From reading the docs I see Asterisk will attempt to bind to all
> addresses.  What about all interfaces?  I have a box with two NICs that

That's considered the same thing.  Asterisk 1.4 binds to 0.0.0.0, which binds
to all addresses (or interfaces) on the machine.  The source address that it
uses in embedded messages, however, is based upon your routing table.
So for internal machines, it may show up as 192.168.xxx.yyy, while for
external hosts, it will claim the address is the same as the public address
for the machine.

Coming soon (not in 1.4) will be the ability to bind to multiple addresses
separately and choose in a more distinctive way which addresses get used
for which purposes.  This is more generally useful for people who like to bind
multiple IP addresses on a single interface.

--
Tilghman