[asterisk-users] DUDE!!!!! was RE: Dialplan Visualization(Extensions.conf or Dialplan Show)

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Fri Apr 18 10:36:55 CDT 2008

John Signorello wrote:
> excuse me...
>
> But did you not just post
>
> [asterisk-users] OT Nice IBM 1U Server Gets Along w/Old and New
> Digium Boards Cheap X305 $199
>
> Did you not provide a link to a COMMERICAL entity?
>
> Wasn't your a post a unsolicited post, that is, not in response to a
> question???
>
> There seems to be two standards here.
>
> The fact that you do not work for them is immaterial.
>
> If your argument is no commercial reference at all, then how do you
> explain your post?

I felt like the cogoblue stuff is out of place and off topic, so I agree
that it should not be arbitrarily posted as a solution to any question
that it might seem to somehow solve.

However, I do not take exception to the IBM server post, even though
strict adherence to the rules would probably make it "illegal" as well.

There is an inherent difference between the two.  The cogoblue post was
made by a paid salesman seeking personal profit indirectly through his
company.  The server link, on the other hand was marked as OT, it was
not posted as a solution to someone's problem, and the poster most
likely does not seek to profit personally from the post.  Many people in
the Asterisk community are on the lookout for inexpensive hardware with
enough power to run a decent sized system.  So the inherent difference
comes down to one post being potentially helpful and the other not being
potentially helpful.  There wasn't even any obvious mention in cogoblue
post that it was, in fact, a commercial product.  If most of us weren't
familiar with the product already because of the previous over-posting,
then one could be slightly misled by the post.

And to make matters worse, it triggered a tangent that has completely
derailed the OP's thread and taken all focus away from the OP's original
question.

Just my two sense,
Brent