[asterisk-users] questions running 2 asterisk under the same LAN

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Thu Apr 17 12:46:12 CDT 2008

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Pete Kay wrote:

> I want to know if I am running two machines each with its own Asterisk on my
> LAN, show I change the port of one of the Asterisk to something  like 5061?

It is common to have multiple instances of Asterisk listening to the same
port number on the same LAN.

> Otherwise, how does an external SIP client ( like IPkall.com) knows how to
> route DID call to Asterisk?   What is the solution for this kind of setup?

It depends on the provider and your networking resources.

Some (most?) providers "know" where to send the call based on
registration. Each host can register as many accounts with as many
providers as desired.

Port forwarding can also solve a lot of problems.

Switching to IAX (with registration) makes most of these issues moot.

Thanks in advance,