[asterisk-users] QOS for outgoing SIP ... Who needs QoS anyway!

J. Oquendo sil at infiltrated.net
Thu Apr 17 07:36:04 CDT 2008

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

| Maybe your understanding of QOS and mine is different.  Of course I have
| no illusions that I can assign a priority to my packets that is going to
| be meaningful to anyone once they leave my network.
|
| But certainly at my choke point which is of course my Internet uplink, I
| can apply QOS (i.e. traffic shaping, which is what the OP's router was
| offering) to make sure that what little capacity is there is giving
| priority to my voice traffic.
|
| Think of my ISP uplink as that moderately congested road in which
| emergency vehicles need to have other casual traffic pull over and let
| it through.  Traffic shaping is the effect of those vehicles pulling
| over and letting the voice traffic through in priority.  This is exactly
| what OP's router was allowing him to do, albeit in what sounds like a
| really crappy way -- only 3 ports or something like that.
|
| b.

Let's take a bare bones look at this. Let's say your connection is 300k
and you have five packets coming in at 60k each to saturate your network:

Provider to you

Packet 1 ----> You
Packet 2 ----> You
Packet 3 ----> You
Packet 4 ----> You
Packet 5 ----> You

You believe that this is happening:

Packet 1 ----> You ---> This is voice send it first --> Device
Packet 2 ----> You ---> This is voice send it first --> Device
Packet 3 ----> You ---> This is P2P leave it 4 last --> Device
Packet 4 ----> You ---> This is P2P leave it 4 last --> Device
Packet 5 ----> You ---> This is AIM make it second! --> Device

Its fine and dandy, but the problem is you're still getting 5 packets.
You're still saturated period. No QoS in the world outside of your
provider and more bandwidth can alleviate that. Your provider is not
going to care what you do once its passed to the CPE. So look at it
logically again. QoS on a home router... Useless COMING IN. Going out...
Means little but helps MINIMALLY.