[asterisk-users] QOS for outgoing SIP ... Who needs QoS anyway!

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Apr 17 07:11:25 CDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 07:54 -0400, sil wrote:

> Apparently man people don't understand that those QoS settings on
> routers mean little most of the time. Most providers resell QoS as a
> premium service, so while many waste their time "painting their packets"
> those markings get stripped.

Maybe your understanding of QOS and mine is different.  Of course I have
no illusions that I can assign a priority to my packets that is going to
be meaningful to anyone once they leave my network.

But certainly at my choke point which is of course my Internet uplink, I
can apply QOS (i.e. traffic shaping, which is what the OP's router was
offering) to make sure that what little capacity is there is giving
priority to my voice traffic.

Think of my ISP uplink as that moderately congested road in which
emergency vehicles need to have other casual traffic pull over and let
it through.  Traffic shaping is the effect of those vehicles pulling
over and letting the voice traffic through in priority.  This is exactly
what OP's router was allowing him to do, albeit in what sounds like a
really crappy way -- only 3 ports or something like that.

b.