[asterisk-users] compilation of asterisk 1.4.19 with ilbc already on system

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 17 02:19:43 CDT 2008

--- "Kevin P. Fleming" <kpfleming at digium.com> wrote:

> Vieri wrote:
>
> > So basically I'm wondering if the Asterisk
> > make/configure process could do steps 1 and 2
> > automagically for me.
>
> I can't find any other Linux distribution that
> provides libilbc, so this
> would be a very Gentoo-specific change if we did it.
> Also, we'll have
> the iLBC source code back in the main distribution
> in the near future
> when the licensing issues are worked out, so for
> everyone else this will
> become a non-issue.

I didn't know that. If that's the case then never mind
my request.

> Do you see any particular advantage to using the
> system-provided
> libilbc, given that we use it in static (not shared
> object) form and it
> would have to be relinked into Asterisk if it got
> upgraded anyway?

No real advantage but I had to patch Gentoo's Asterisk
1.4.19 ebuild (ie "package") to avoid losing
/usr/lib/asterisk/modules/codec_ilbc.so and I took
advantage of the fact that there already exists an
ilbc ebuild for Gentoo.
If I want Gentoo users to upgrade seamlessly via the
package management system I can think of only two
choices:

1) change the 1.4.19 ebuild so that it runs the
contrib/scripts/getilbcsource.sh before compiling (but
I would still need to patch that script to remove the
"read")

2) change the * 1.4.19 ebuild so that it can take
advantage of ilbc provided by another ebuild (via
dependency).

I proposed option 2 for Gentoo users and it's working
fine for my system.
However, if you plan to get the iLBC source code back
in the main distribution soon then that's even better
and as I wrote before, you can ignore my request.

Thanks,
Vieri