[asterisk-users] zaptel 1.4.10 regression with TE220B on Proliant DL380 G5 ?

Ex Vito ex.vitorino at gmail.com
Tue Apr 15 19:09:01 CDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:37 PM, Al Baker <bwentdg at pipeline.com> wrote:
> exvito - I know it is a pain in the cahoonkus - but would you consider
>  sharing the OTHER Digium board issues you are having , the recommended
>  steps you were given by Digium to troubleshoot them, and the results ?
>  I think this "real-wold" experience wold be invaluable to the list.
>  THX in Advance for sharing !

  ...sure, here it goes, without all the infinite detail we went
  through in the process.

  Short version: same DL380 G5 system, Centos 5, kernel
  2.6.18-53.1.14.el5, zaptel 1.4.10, zaptel 1.4.9.2, almost all
  possible combinations in PCI slots, USB / 2nd NIC / ILO
  enabling / disabling.

  TC400B module loading fails (wctc4xxp)

  (actually it loaded fine once or twice and asterisk recognized
  its presence, but failed in subsequent reboots without any
  reconfiguration!)

  If asterisk 1.4.19 is started under these conditions, we get a
  kernel panic -- did not get a dump / log of it but we have a
  console picture that we can share (~460KiB). But at some
  point we get:

  [<address>] apic_timer_interrupt+0x1f/0x24
  [<address>] zt_tc_open+0x59/0xc3 [zttranscode]
  [<address>] zt_open+0x86/0x22a [zaptel]
  [<address>] chrdev_open+0x11e/0x123

  We also tried the same card under all the other variations
  in a different system -- a proliant ML110 G4 -- we obtained
  the same behaviour: once or twice it loaded most of the
  time it failed with the same error.

  dmesg snippet is:

  Zaptel Version: 1.4.10
  Zaptel Echo Canceller: MG2
  Zaptel Transcoder support loaded
  Registered codec translator 'DTE Encoder' with 92 transcoders
(srcs=0000000c, dsts=00000101)
  Registered codec translator 'DTE Decoder' with 92 transcoders
(srcs=00000101, dsts=0000000c)
  Zaptel DTE (G.729a / G.723.1) Transcoder support LOADED (firm ver = 6.12)
  wctc4xxp: probe of 0000:0a:01.0 failed with error -5

  Both when the card is the only one installed on the system
  and when in the presence of TE220B and / or TE122.

  We contacted Digium support, who suggested we RMA
  this card, they believe the card is faulty. We seem to
  agree, as the behavior does not seem to make much
  sense (although this is our first experience with such
  a card)

  There it is, in the hope that it helps some one in the future.
  We will post back results when the new card arrives.

  Cheers,
--
  exvito