[asterisk-users] do cards just instantly go bad

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon Apr 14 13:12:22 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 01:04:52PM -0400, Jon Pounder wrote:
> you might try an actual power cycle in case some circuit actually
> needs a hard reset, but other than that, anything is possible, it
> could have failed.

This is a good point to remember: shutting down modern motherboards
*does not* remove all voltage from all lines of the bus connector...
and that can keep cards from resetting.

As I discovered this week, even a "hard" power switch on the back isn't
always good enough -- we installed a server with hot-swappable dual
power supplies, each with its own rocker switch.

Turning off both rocker switches *still* did not cause the wake-on-LAN
lights on the Ethernet jack to go out.  I had to unplug both power
cords to accomplish that.

I suspect Underwriters' Laboratories Would Not Be Pleased.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)