[asterisk-users] Digium T1 Card Crashing Server (Dell 2950)

Matt Florell astmattf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 18:45:53 CDT 2008

Hello,

It might not be Digium's fault, I ran into similar problems with Dell
2950 servers and other PCIexpress cards. I even went so far as to have
several components replaced by Dell on one of the affected servers to
no avail. After many months of banging my head against a wall I
stumbled across the following posts on the Trixbox forums:

http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/acpi-default-install-2-4-0
http://www.trixbox.org/forums/trixbox-forums/open-discussion/tb-2-4-crashing-asus-amd-and-new-dell-server-spec

 After talking to some computer engineers at a few companies I learned
that It seems Dell does not have very good quality control on the
power control chipsets that they use and so on some machines you have
to disable acpi(or enable it) at the kernel level. If you do not set
it correctly, when the power saving functions trigger there is a
higher likelyhood that an error will occur leading to a kernel panic.

This is most likely the same problem so take a look at the forum
postings and try disabling/enabling acpi in your grub startup.

Of course it could be something else entirely, but this problem does
seem to be common with Dell 2950, and this did fix the problem for me
on more than one Dell 2950.

MATT---