[asterisk-users] Is Asterisk really good??

Eugen Soare eugen.soare at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 13:46:48 CDT 2008

So this is just a general question, Is Asterisk really good?

Reliability?

Functionality?

Customization's?

I am coming from a Nortel world, were you pay for everything, and you
can't delve into the software. But it seems that customization would be
a great thing.
Like, setting up a war-dialer to customer lists, incoming/outgoing
faxes  (that's possible with Asterisk, right?) and making your own cool
voice mail stuff.

But before I delve into it, I thought a question to the community would
be in order.

2 more questions.

1 - Can you really make free outgoing calls from let's say Portland OR,
to Frankfurt Germany?
2 - What would it take to set one up?  cards / computer power / pricing
on software? What has your experience been?

Thank you for taking time to look at this post!
Eugen