[asterisk-users] zaptel alarm

Greg Woods greg at gregandeva.net
Wed Apr 2 15:48:45 CDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 15:23 -0500, Brent Davidson wrote:
>  the cords that ran between the wall jack and the jacks on the X100P
> cords all ran between the server's 21" CRT monitor and the wall.

Not a problem here, as the monitor is on the other side of the room from
the server and the wire from the wall plate to the server doesn't go
anywhere near it.

>  The server was degaussing or something every evening and the
> resulting magnetic surge was burning out the X100P card.

I think the card is OK; all the extensions plugged into the FXS ports
work fine and incoming calls also work. This looks more like a driver
problem. And I've had trouble with the zaptel drivers before. I had a
situation where my machine would just stop (no crash, just totally hung
and unresponsive). A zaptel driver upgrade fixed that.

>  If you've had a recent lightning storm with cloud to ground lightning
> anywhere in the area

It's a bit early for that here; we won't see our first thunderstorm for
another few weeks yet.

> There could also be an error in the RPM's though.  I'd recommend
> trying rebuilding the zaptel drivers

That's what I intend to try tonight. I hope I don't have to rebuild
asterisk from source too, as having the fixes applied to the RPM (such
as the one for the recent security problem) was one of my main reasons
for upgrading the system, so I wouldn't HAVE to maintain asterisk from
source any more.

But I did have to get the zaptel driver from ATrpms, as it isn't part of
Fedora 8 (maybe it's got some license or patent restrictions on it so
they don't distribute it for the same reasons they won't distribute MP3
decoders?) If the update does fix my problem, I will let the ATrpms
people know about it.

--Greg