[asterisk-users] Virtual or Hardware SIP Modem

Don Fanning don at 00100100.net
Tue Apr 1 20:33:26 CDT 2008

Short answer: No.

However you can use ATA devices like PAP-2's to connect to your existing
modem bank and as long as your latency is constant, get decent results.
I myself have gotten 33.6k on a regular basis with such a setup and have
called the world using cheap SIP/IAX providers with decent speeds.

The key to note is that you disable Data Compression (AT&K0) because the
data stream is already compressed.  Error correction however is useful.