[asterisk-users] Digium acquires Switchvox

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Thu Sep 27 10:25:38 CDT 2007

As you may have heard, Digium announced this morning that it's acquired Switchvox, a well known provider of Asterisk-based phone systems.  Since several people have already asked me about the deal, I figured I'd let you all know my feelings on the matter.  First of all, let me say that I personally think this is a great thing for all the parties involved.  Obviously this gives Digium a more polished product aimed primarily at small- and medium-sized businesses, and it allows the Switchvox team to join a larger organization with a greater reach.  I also think this is a positive thing for the Asterisk community as well, as key pieces of the Switchvox system will be rolled into the open-source version of Asterisk.  (I've personally heard of two or three things that the Switchvox team has done to improve Asterisk, and I'm sure there are lots more I'm not aware of yet.)

The full text of the press release can be found at http://www.digium.com/en/mediacenter/news/viewpress.php?id=digium-acquires-switchvox, and we've tried to answer the common questions we've already received by putting up a question and answer page at <insert URL here>.  Obviously this won't answer everyone's questions, so I'm more than happy to field questions (either in private or here on the mailing list) and have them answered by Digium management.  We're also planning an audio conference next Tuesday in which you'll be able to dial in and ask any questions you may have concerning the acquisition.  (I'll post the exact time and details as soon as I have them.)

-------
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager
Digium, Inc.