[asterisk-users] Asterisk Redundancy

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Tue Sep 25 20:11:07 CDT 2007

[snip]
> http://lists.digium.com/pipermail/asterisk-users/2007-August/195339.html
> >> could provide you with some answers.
> >

> >Hi,
> >This seems nice way of sharing settings, however it wouldn't take over
> >calls in progress. For us, currently the greatest problem is that
> >whenever Asterisk crashes, calls are lost, and that means - lost
> >money. Are there any ideas?
>
> You might want to take Asterisk out of the media path then. If it crashes,
> calls will stay up, although your CDR's will be screwed. If screwed CDR's
> still means lost money... your still screwed!

Nop, i can't stay out of media path, as there are essential features
depending on it - hell, that's why i need asterisk - transfers,
chanspy, monitoring.. Of course in case of crash - monitoring and CDR
can be lost - that would be minor problem comparing to lost calls.

I'm thinking about some mechanism how asterisk could communicate with
second asterisk and report all state operations made with SIP. So if
asterisk fails, redundancy asterisk performs IP takeover and
continues. Unfortunately my SIP knowledge is nearly minimal (as are my
C skills), and i don't have any ideas how to implement this.

A simplest method could be something like SIP proxy, that sends calls
to asterisk, but if asterisk stops responding, it plays some message
and tries to send call to redundancy server - however then problem can
occur with redundancy server. And this would have some major drawbacks
- calls wouldn't be matched to corresponding agents in queue.

Hmm, thinking a bit more about topic - maybe redundancy mechanism
would have enough to keep state of channels, bridges, and
corresponding dialplan location (assuming that config is identical).
Too much of duplicating everything would mean that second asterisk
could have the same crash.

Regards,
Atis

--