[asterisk-users] Grandstream GXP2020 / 2000

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Tue Sep 25 13:21:51 CDT 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Ben Schorr wrote:

> I have a client using the Grandstream phones (not sure which model but
> it looks fairly low-end) and they're lukewarm on them.  The display
> doesn't tilt up for easy viewing and the sound quality on the speaker
> phone leaves something to be desired apparently.

Sounds like the BudgeTone 100/101/200 phones. They are numeric only
displays which don't tilt.

The GXP2000's do tilt.

The early versions of the BT100/101/200 firmware had problems and I could
make them hang requiring a power cycle - but the latest s/w (1.0.8.33)
seems to have fixed this. (And until very recently I'd never have delpoyed
a BT200 to a customer because of this!)

> But as basic, inexpensive, Asterisk handsets they do the job.

I've deployed quite a few GXP2000's this year. Biggest single installation
is only 10, but I have one in 2 weeks time where they want 20 in the
office. I'm not anticipating any problems.

They may not be the best, but for the price are more than adequate.

Problems I have heard of (but not experienced - yet?) are handsets getting
warm - I think this was an early hardware fault though. Backlights getting
feint, and low screen contrast (the display is hard to read when the
backlight is off - it can be turned on permanently in via the web
interface) The speakerphone on the 2000 is adequate, but the microphone
gain is probably set too high (complaints of too much background noise
from the other party)

Early 2000's had issues too, but the current s/w (1.1.1.14) has been very
stable, although the BLF functions on the GXP2000 mostly work in the
current version I have, sometime gets confused. The phone itself picks up
mains hum when my desk lamp is right next to it (but so does the Snom!)

Features that the users like is the easy way to shuttle between 2 calls
with the "line" buttons at the top of the phone. (I don't use the
multi-account features though - the only one I've installed with more than
one account is the one on my desk!)

My busyest site with GXP's has one person taking about 20-30 calls a day
with one.

Hope this helps,

Gordon