[asterisk-users] HOWTO/FAQ question (Location: Sweden)

Mark Quitoriano markquitoriano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 03:38:36 CDT 2007

Hi,

On 9/25/07, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:

> Sorry for this. This is most likely a HOWTO or FAQ question, but
> it's so much information and documentation to wade through so
> I hope someone could take a minute to answer anyway.
>
> If not, no worries. I'll get to it sooner or later :)
>

> I'm trying to understand what Asterisk actually is and the basic
> workings... I think I've understand what I need to get going,
> except one thing.

asterisk is a IP-PBX system you can visit asterisk.org for more info or
voip-info.org.

How do I connect to a 'normal' (i.e. analog) telephone? That is,
> if my company/project have 100% IP telephony, but one of these
> phones need to call a analog telephone in another company (or
> if I need to call home for any reason :). What do I need from
> the 'phone company'? And what hardware?

This is Sweden with Telia as provider if that matters.

IT depends with your provider, If they use analog TDM lines you'll be
needing Digium TDM400P or TDM2400P with fxo modules, If they can do digital
E1 PRI you can use  Digium TE120P(one E1 port), TE207P/TE212P(two E1 port),
TE407P/TE412P(four E1 port). Or for pci express cards either TE220P or
TE420. you can check digium.org for more details of this cards.

You can also use your analog phone devices either connect it through
ATA(Analog Telephony Adaptor) example are Linksys PAP2, Digium
TDM400P(4-port) with fxs module or TDM2400P (24-port) with fxs module.

DISCLAIMER1: I've read about BRI, PRI, E1/T1 etc, but the reason
>              I'm all confused is that they (Telia) don't seem to
>              understand the question, and also claims that a
>              PRI == E1.

AFAIK PRI is the signalling for E1.

DISCLAIMER2: I've seen the Digium cards, but due to confusion with
>              Telia, I'm not sure if I want/need a Digital or an
>              Analog card... And 'how big'...

if they said they can do PRI you'll be needing a Digium card. but if they
can use VOIP go with VOIP to save up from buying the hardware.

HTH

--
Regards,
Mark Quitoriano, CCNA