[asterisk-users] HOWTO/FAQ question (Location: Sweden)

zoachien zoachien at securax.org
Tue Sep 25 03:37:52 CDT 2007

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Sorry for this. This is most likely a HOWTO or FAQ question, but
> it's so much information and documentation to wade through so
> I hope someone could take a minute to answer anyway.
>
> If not, no worries. I'll get to it sooner or later :)
>

> I'm trying to understand what Asterisk actually is and the basic
> workings... I think I've understand what I need to get going,
> except one thing.
>
> How do I connect to a 'normal' (i.e. analog) telephone? That is,
> if my company/project have 100% IP telephony, but one of these
> phones need to call a analog telephone in another company (or
> if I need to call home for any reason :). What do I need from
> the 'phone company'? And what hardware?

You need something to interconnect to your telco, this can be done on
different ways:

- you can take a voip provider and not buy any hardware.
- you can use a TDM card and connect to a classic analog telephone line.
(1 simultaneous call per port)
- you can use a BRI card and connect to a classic isdn line (You get 2
lines per port this case)

If you need more capacity, (more than 2 simultaneous channels), just
think PRI or PRA or E1 as one and the same thing. (30 simultaneous calls
per port).

Zoa.