[asterisk-users] HOWTO/FAQ question (Location: Sweden)

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Sep 25 02:54:35 CDT 2007

Sorry for this. This is most likely a HOWTO or FAQ question, but
it's so much information and documentation to wade through so
I hope someone could take a minute to answer anyway.

If not, no worries. I'll get to it sooner or later :)

I'm trying to understand what Asterisk actually is and the basic
workings... I think I've understand what I need to get going,
except one thing.

How do I connect to a 'normal' (i.e. analog) telephone? That is,
if my company/project have 100% IP telephony, but one of these
phones need to call a analog telephone in another company (or
if I need to call home for any reason :). What do I need from
the 'phone company'? And what hardware?

This is Sweden with Telia as provider if that matters.

DISCLAIMER1: I've read about BRI, PRI, E1/T1 etc, but the reason
             I'm all confused is that they (Telia) don't seem to
             understand the question, and also claims that a
             PRI == E1.
DISCLAIMER2: I've seen the Digium cards, but due to confusion with
             Telia, I'm not sure if I want/need a Digital or an
             Analog card... And 'how big'...