[asterisk-users] Polycom 330 + Asterisk, phone locks up. * key will do it

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at telephonydepot.com
Thu Sep 20 16:55:42 CDT 2007

telmnstr at 757.org wrote:

> Hello all,
>
>   We have an Asterisk server that has worked without issue for a while.
> Before, only Sipura and Polycom 500 series phones were used.
>
>   Recently, we've added a few POE switches and 20 or so Polycom 330's.
>
>   The 330's seem to lock up often. One easy way to do this is by hitting
> the * key. I looked thru the XML files for dialplan and what not, nothing
> stood out.
>
>   I've tried the latest everyone-can-download (bootrom 3.2.3.0021 and
> firmware 2.1.2.0048).
>
>   Thoughts? The 500 series phones (501) have no issues.

Without a doubt the most common problem with deploying newer Polycom
handsets is the presence of old configurations instructions in the XML
provisioning files. In most cases, people plug in a 650, provision it just
like they did with all their 501s, and the reliability is just, well, ..
terrible! The degree of pain depends on how (and how much) you have tweaked
the configs over the years.

The fix can be a little painful, but is worth doing. Upgrade to the latest
firmware and XML config templates from Polycom (assuming you purchased from
an official polycom reseller), and port your local changes as overrides from
the new default file.

Config files are backward compatible, but not forward compatible. What
worked with your 501 will not make your 430, 650, 330 or 320 happy.

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson
Senior Sales & Support Engineer