[asterisk-users] Building an RPM from Asterisk 1.4

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Thu Sep 20 09:14:42 CDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 09:01 -0400, James FitzGibbon wrote:
> www.atrpms.net has pretty solid RPMs, and you can grab the SRPMS in
> order to get the spec file (either install the SRPM or use rpm2cpio to
> convert the package and extract the specfile manually).

I've looked at a lot of Asterisk spec files (including the ones at
atrpms.net, and the ones at http://www.laimbock.com/asterisk/), but so
far my favorites are the ones done by Jeff C. Ollie at
http://repo.ocjtech.us/misc/fedora/7/SRPMS/.  They're about the most
thorough I've seen.

> There is a book called "Maximum RPM".  The dead tree version is now
> pretty out of date with respect to the latest version of RPM (though
> still a good introduction if you've never built a package).

The Red Hat RPM Guide is online at
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/drafts/rpm-guide-en/, and it's fairly
good.  I also highly recommend the guide from Guru Labs, available at
http://www.gurulabs.com/GURULABS-RPM-LAB/GURULABS-RPM-GUIDE-v1.0.PDF

Personally, I agree with the original poster... the spec file that's
currently in the Asterisk source is less than useful, and should
probably be replaced.

--
Jared Smith
Community Relations Manager