[asterisk-users] Building an RPM from Asterisk 1.4

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 08:01:13 CDT 2007

On 9/20/07, Marcus Franke <mfranke at gmx.net> wrote:

> Do you have any examples for these spec files?
>
> I found a repository for installing Asterisk on Centos, but it
> took a while before I discovered it. Ok, just checked the link
> its for RHEL, but as Centos is just recompiled this won't matter.
>
> Same situation for Ubuntu using the debian package format, but
> I have not found a repository so far and Ubuntu delivers just
> the old 1.2 release. :)

www.atrpms.net has pretty solid RPMs, and you can grab the SRPMS in order to
get the spec file (either install the SRPM or use rpm2cpio to convert the
package and extract the specfile manually).  This is where I get my libpri
and zaptel RPMs from (though I still build * from source, as the RPM
compilation options they use are not to my liking).

There is a book called "Maximum RPM".  The dead tree version is now pretty
out of date with respect to the latest version of RPM (though still a good
introduction if you've never built a package).  I believe there was a
slightly more up-to-date online version, but it still had some gaps the last
time I looked.

The best way to learn seems to be to examine good examples and then build
your own package using their techniques.

--
j.