[asterisk-users] Softphone RTP Session Start-up Delay

James FitzGibbon james.fitzgibbon at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 15:19:28 CDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Kutman.DK at forces.gc.ca <Kutman.DK at forces.gc.ca> wrote:

>  here because we are actually specifying the IP Address of the Asterisk
> server, but I am willing to try anything to fix this problem.  The two user
> pc's are setup on workgroups, so I do not believe that there is a domain
> available that can be entered in the hosts file.  Could the DNS still be the
> issue?  If not, would anyone be able to suggest any other possible problems
> that may be causing this delay.

It wasn't the same magnitude (more like 4 seconds for me), but I had an
issue where the default eyeBeam (the commercial version of X-Lite) install
was imposing a delay when a call first came in while it attempted to contact
a non-existent STUN server.  When I removed the STUN server setting, call
setup was immediate.

Might be worth looking at.  Have you done a trace on the PC where the
softphone is running (without a filter) to see what network packets are
flying at the time the call setup happens?

--
j.