[asterisk-users] Call Center SoftPhone with Auto Answer

David Gomillion david.gomillion at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 16:06:21 CDT 2007

On 9/18/07, Atis Lezdins <atis at iq-labs.net> wrote:

> On 9/18/07, Joao Pereira <joao.pereira at fccn.pt> wrote:
> > I don't think so, because in paging/intercom, the phones must support
> > "Auto Answer".
> >
> > The link you sent says:
> > "SIP phones for the most part don't support any of these phone based
> > paging functions. If a SIP phone offers an Auto Answer function, you can
> > approximate limited paging intercom functionality."
> >
> > I'm using X-Lite, and in X-Lite I can't force the users to answer the
> > call..... The users can put "Auto Answer = Off".
> >
> > Also, the response from Counterpath was weird, as they said they're
> > engineering team cannot remove the Auto Answer option:
> > "To have the auto-answer permanently on in the context that you wish to
> > have is a feature that our engineering team cannot hard code into the
> > phone. It can be turned on and off in the menu "
>
> Actually i believe you can do it yourself. X-Lite is windows, right?
> There are a bunch of programs, allowing to edit internal resources of
> executable files. So, just grab a resource editor (i prefer XN
> Resource Editor), open .exe file, edit the menu - disable (and hide)
> items you want to forbid changing for users, and give them the
> executable. I'm not certain that X-Lite's executable is not
> packed/crypted, but editing SJPhone was very successful some time ago.
>
> Of course, there's always an option for user - to take another
> softphone, but whatever softphone you choose - they will have the same
> chance.

I've stayed out of this thread for a long time, and really didn't read the
past comments, so if I'm repeating someone, I'm sorry. I've been thinking
this for a while, and just have to say it. If you feel like you have to keep
people from turning off the auto-answer feature on a softphone, you don't
need a new softphone. You need new people.