[asterisk-users] Why does everyone seem to dislike *now?

Eric "ManxPower" Wieling eric at fnords.org
Tue Sep 18 12:11:35 CDT 2007

If the #AsteriskNOW channel is dead on IRC that does not mean you can
bring your problems to a channel dedicated to Asterisk (i.e. no GUI).
Go ahead and use AsteriskNOW, but don't pester the people in #asterisk,
most of which have never used it and many have never even heard of it.

All the GUIs make incredibly complex dialplans, macros, and AGIs to do
what they do.  If you are using AsteriskNOW and build your config files
from scratch then most everyone on #asterisk is willing to help you --
you are using simple easy to understand, troubleshoot, and diagnose
config files.  The problem with this is that the GUI will no longer work.

AsteriskNOW is not Asterisk.  Asking questions about AsteriskNOW on
#asterisk is like asking for support for your linux based cell phone on
#linux.  The environment, built, paths, libraries, and software are all
totally different on a linux based cellphone and people that know Linux
really can't help you.  All you end up doing is wasting people's time.

There is a similar problem with #asterisk-dev.  You do not go to
#asterisk-dev to ask user type questions.  That is not what the channel
is for.  #asterisk-dev is for development questions related to Asterisk.

I'm sure that AsteriskNOW is a great product.  Use the correct support
methods, that is all we ask.