[asterisk-users] Why does everyone seem to dislike *now?

Jim Canfield jcanfield at tshmail.com
Mon Sep 17 17:13:29 CDT 2007

SIP wrote:
> Not at all relevant to your query, but I still use the mysql CLI for any
> mysql task... and while most OSs have nice, functional tools to add
> users (command-line tools), there are SOME (*cough* Irix *cough*) where
> there are no CLI tools and VI is your only option (especially if you're
> remotely logged in via a term window and have no X).
>
> GUIs have their place. But it's often a trade-off between abstracting
> the details to make things user-friendly and hiding the power that is
> available via the CLI from someone who knows it. If you're comfortable
> with the CLI, why learn another tool? If you're NOT comfortable with the
> CLI, by all means use a GUI, but don't expect people who never use it to
> be of much help when you ask questions.

Thanks for the response. I agree there is a trade-off between
abstracting details and making things user friendly. That said, I also
believe there are huge barriers to entry when one becomes CLI
only....I'm speaking of newcomers. A proper GUI will take the CLI into
account and CLI will remain effective. This is true for most successful
linux projects. I was able to create a working system *now and a CLI
book (TFOT) w/o any real issues. Granted I did render much of the "neat
stuff" useless. My real concern was the immediate '/ignore' for asking
about an issue with the *now ditro that actually had nothing to do with
the GUI itself. Truth be told, most of my time today was in the CLI
console and the file editor...both are very nice IMHO. I see no reason
to create a "second class" of community citizens.

Thanks again,

jc