[asterisk-users] DECT SIP phones

Tobias Wolf tobias.wolf at evision.de
Fri Sep 14 05:40:33 CDT 2007

Håkan Källberg schrieb:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 06:05:51PM -0600, Stephen Bosch wrote:
>> I'm looking for a SIP DECT (cordless) phone for North American
>> installations. I've heard only of the Siemens Gigaset S450/C450 phones.
>> Apparently these aren't sold for use in NAm, even though they're
>> supposed to be legal (in the United States, anyway).
>
> Hello!
>
> I would reccomend the Kirk DECT gateway. It is SIP capable
> and avilable for N America.

We have tested the Kirk DECT Gateway for internal use with we SIP
implementation. To set up the base station to work with Asterisk and to
register phones at a base station it quite a bit of work, but manageable.

Sound is quite good, in some cases too good. They shut down the mic
while you are not talking, to eliminate background noise while the other
party is speaking. The absolute calmness leads the other party to the
conclusion that the call was disconnected, very annoying.

The phones are quite expensive (up to €170 per unit + €600 for the base
station).

For this price we wanted an distributed phone book, maybe the base
station being able to look up the numbers in an extern ldap server.

Support od Kirk told us, that there some development in this sector, but
nothing ready for deployment.

After this conclusion, we have sent the kirk setup back und bought the
siemens S450 setup.

The Base station is limited to 2 concurrent calls, but if you only
register 2 phones per base station this is no drawback.

Now we have 5 base stations running with 2 or 3 phones per station for
less money than we kirk setup.

So far it works very good.

Although there is no solution for a distributed telephone book. You can
sent phone books to the telephone per web interface as an Vcard-File.

We are working on an automated solution that erases the phone in all the
telephones and sent new phonebook files to them.

Regards,
--

  Tobias Wolf

  Leiter Softwareentwicklung / Kommunikationslösungen

  Evision GmbH

  Wittekindstr. 105

  44139 Dortmund

  Tel: +49 (0)231 - 47790 307

  Fax: +49 (0)231 - 47790 500

  http://www.evision.de

This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying attachments
contain confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. Any dissemination, distribution,
copying or action taken in reliance on the contents of this
communication by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error
please immediately delete the E-mail and notify the sender at the
above E-mail address. Thank you.
Hövener & Trapp Evision GmbH, Dortmund - HRB Nr.12477, Registergericht
Dortmund - Geschäftsführer Christoph Begall