[asterisk-users] Generating an old-fashioned dialtone

Phil Reynolds phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
Wed Sep 12 17:03:58 CDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 12, 2007 at 11:23:51AM -0600, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> It's been years since I was in the UK. I can't remember what the modern
> dial tone sounds like. When did it change?

The first version of it appeared in parts of Sutton Coldfield in 1976,
but some places still had the old tone into the 1990s. The modern one is
of a slightly higher pitch than the 1976 version. Much of Europe uses a
similar tone. The "secondary" dial tone in France (that followed use of
19 when that was the International prefix) was quite similar too.

The 1976 version of the tone came to Hednesford in 1985 - we had only
lived there for a few months and my mother thought something had gone
wrong.

--
Phil Reynolds
 o  ____ mail: phil at tinsleyviaduct.com
|L_ \  / Web: http://www.tinsleyviaduct.com/phil/
(_)- \/  Waltham 66, Emley Moor 69, Droitwich 79, Windows 95