[asterisk-users] Flash IDE

Jon Pounder JonP at inline.net
Wed Sep 12 08:19:53 CDT 2007

there is tons of information about linux and flash drives on the
nslu2-linux.org and the openwrt sites.

main points :

- disable swap
- disable atime
- disable most logging

once the drive is not being written to then it will last a long time.

Quoting Bill Seddon <bill.seddon at lyquidity.com>:

> Does it have to be a flash device?  I have an 8GB "flash" drive that is
> really a small hard disk that plugs into and is powered by a USB port.
> The device is 3cmx3cmx0.5cm, silent, fast and wears out like a hard disk
> not flash memory.  It doesn't stick out (and so get knocked off) because
> the USB connecter is hinged.  Something like this might be better for
> your (though more expensive).
>

> On the other hand, flash devices able to accommodate the needs of
> Asterisk cost almost nothing.  Why not use two devices one that is
> updated in real-time and that is backed up periodically (say overnight).
> If one begins to fail then you can switch over the periodic back up and
> used a new device for backup.
>
> Bill

Jon Pounder

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/       _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/_/_/_/

Inline Internet Systems Inc.
Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Tools to Power Your e-Business Solutions
www.inline.net
www.ihtml.com
www.ihtmlmerchant.com
www.opayc.com