[asterisk-users] Meridian S1 to Asterisk via T1

Stephen Bosch posting at vodacomm.ca
Sun Sep 9 12:22:59 CDT 2007

David Gomillion wrote:

> On 9/7/07, *Michelle Dupuis* <support at ocg.ca <mailto:support at ocg.ca>> wrote:
>
>     This is going into an emergency response facility...where they currently
>     have a Nortel Option 61 (I think).  They want to slowly phase into VoIP.
>     They will need 1000 phone set capacity (assuming full migration).
>

> This can be done, and I am a proponent of Asterisk. But I don't think I
> would recommend it in this situation. Frankly, having a big company like
> Nortel to blame if/when downtime occurs would be worth the money
> difference to me!

Would it?

Having someone to blame doesn't mean you didn't have a massive outage,
and also doesn't mean that the vendor you are blaming is actually going
to fix the problem.

Which is not to say that there aren't good commercial products that are
appropriate in certain circumstances... just that people place an awful
lot of faith in their service agreements, probably more than they should.

What you need in a situation like the above is some engineering depth
and people with lots of deployment experience.

-Stephen-